Monday, March 24, 2008

Freddy and Fredericka

Spring Break is over, but I'm still enjoying the newest book by Mark Helprin: Freddy and Fredericka. described as an allegory, a picaresque saga, and fable-cum-romance, I've been laughing out loud over his portrayal of how Brits see the States. It's a great look at class and culture, silly and funny, but not stupid. It's very transparently based on Prince Charles and Princess Di's marriage. I remember getting up in the middle of the night to watch their wedding, and many scenes from Helprin's novel will be recognizable; others, not so much, but still entertaining.

2 comments:

Heavenly Windows said...

I also remember getting up to watch that wedding. I also purchased a VHS tape of it. I was a Choirmaster at the time and ordered some of the music for my own choir that was used at the wedding.

A Reader said...

A good film to watch with a strong pot of tea :)